Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, June 21, 2009

What fresh mustard greens hell is this?


I meant that in a good way. I bought some "salad mix" plants at Jasper's plant sale this spring and the packs were not labeled. So I'm wondering what variety these spicy mustard greens are. Osaka purple, maybe? Whatever the variety, the just-picked leaves were so sharp and spicy they nearly knocked me off my feet. I really liked how they brought my Black Forest ham and fresh mozzarella sandwich to life.

I also like this short piece from Devil and Egg on the delights of red mustard greens. Wish I hadn't just eaten the last of ours!

2 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Wowee! Sounds like yumness!

Osaka Purple sounds reasonable to me.

I'm afraid my tomatoes and squash are going to rot in all this rain. And the peppers are in suspended animation.

(Doing my Streetcar Brando imitation): Sunnnnnn!!!!!!

Adriana Velez said...

I know, this rain is also too much of a good thing, though I'm seeing more blooms this year. Still, I just spotted a fungus on my basil and my eggplant leaves are turning yellow. Looks like this week is turning out to be more of the same.