Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Stone fruit braised lamb


Another unappetizing photo, alas.

Nectarines and apricots haven't fallen from trees in the Northeast yet as far as I know. These babies definitely come from south of the Mason-Dixon line. But after months of apples I couldn't resist. Here is the non-recipe recipe.

1. Brown chunks of lamb kebab meat, cut into 1-inch square pieces, on high heat.
2. Add about 5 halved apricots and three quartered nectarines.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Drizzle about 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar.
5. Throw in a couple of cinnamon sticks.
6. Lower heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

I tried this with millet--my first attempt at cooking it. I hear it's less acidic than other grains. I toasted it first before cooking it in water but wasn't thrilled with the results. I'll have to keep tinkering with the millet, but the lamb with fruit was tartly tasty.

1 comment:

Luisa Perkins said...

Delish; I think I'd like that with couscous. I don't have a ton of experience with millet. Perhaps I should rectify that.