Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Buttermilk chicken with scallions and cherry tomatoes


I have to tell you, raw milk buttermilk from a farm is quite a different substance from the usual buttermilk we all know. For one thing, no thickeners are added, so it's actually quite thin. Also, it doesn't curdle as easily when exposed to high temperatures. It does curdle a little, but not like conventional buttermilk.

I braised some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this buttermilk with chopped scallions and cherry tomatoes for about half an hour. Then I removed the thighs and vegetables, added a splash of vermouth, and reduced the cooking liquid until I got a wonderful, golden sauce. This made for the tenderest chicken I've ever had and a sauce that evoked home-made caramels and a grassy field. Yum, yum, yum.

4 comments:

mamacita said...

Okay, I have to admit: it doesn't look that good, but it does sound good.

Adriana Velez said...

Hah, now that you mention it, that is a particularly unappetizing photo! Errrr...

Luisa Perkins said...

We discovered that same thing when we started getting milk from a farm. It turns out the buttermilk in the store is a cultured product that is trying to approximate real buttermilk (what is left over after butter is churned out of slightly sour cream).

Store sour cream is kind of a made-up thing, too. But I bet you knew that.

Yummy-soundin' chicken!

Adriana Velez said...

Luisa, that's so weird! I'd be interested to hear the story of how we got from farm buttermilk to commercial (cultured) buttermilk. They're not even remotely similar--except for both coming from cows.